CHICAGO (WLS) — The Chicago Marathon weekend is right here and runners are prepared
The Chicago Marathon makes a giant financial impression, with tens of 1000’s of runners and their supporters coming into the town for the massive race.
“I am not too nervous,” runner Kerri Nowacki mentioned. “I really feel just like the adrenaline will kick in and it is going to be fantastic.”
Nowacki got here from New York to run the Financial institution of America Chicago Marathon. It is her first marathon ever.
“I am excited, like my household is flying out for it,” she mentioned. “I flew in from New York. It should be enjoyable.”
What makes Chicago Marathon course particular?
That is the forty fourth 12 months for the marathon, attracting runners from all 50 states 100 international locations, making it one of many premiere athletic occasions on this planet.
Runners take pleasure within the onerous work they’ve completed to get her. Kevin Haywood is with the working group Males Run Des Streets, encouraging everybody to stand up and transfer. That is his 14th 12 months working a marathon, seventh right here in his hometown.
“It is the variety you go to Little Italy, Bronzeville a little bit bit, you simply go throughout in in the future in order that makes it fascinating that is the draw,” he mentioned.
NW Indiana man collaborating Chicago Marathon to boost cash for individuals with disabilities
The truth is, the marathon begins in Grant Park and winds by way of 29 neighborhoods. Final 12 months, the race was scaled down post-pandemic, however this 12 months It is again in full drive with 40 thousand runners.
Harwood mentioned if you happen to really feel overwhelmed simply keep in mind to take it at your individual tempo. It is all about transferring your physique.
“Only one mile at a time, go a half mile out of your door and are available again simply get transferring began that manner,” he mentioned.
The well being and health expo earlier than the run, brings in about $32 million in gross sales alone.
READ MORE | Financial institution of America Marathon in Chicago provides nonbinary division for 1st time ever
“It is 1000’s of people that have come to Chicago and so they’re gonna uncover themselves and uncover a tremendous neighborhood,” marathon director Carey Pinkowski.
The marathon begins in Grant Park and winds by way of 29 neighborhoods. Final 12 months there was a scaled down model of the race. However this 12 months it’s again to full capability with 40,000 runners.
Chicago Marathon 2022 Route
Based on Select Chicago, the marathon creates over 2,500 jobs and equates to over $100 million in earnings for employees.
The race begins at about 6:30 a.m. Sunday in Grant Park, it heads north to Wrigleyville, south to Loop, west to Damen, then south to Bridgeport earlier than returning to Grant Park for the end.
Financial institution of America Chicago Marathon closures
Monday, Oct. 3
- Balbo from Columbus to DuSable Lake Shore Drive at 10 a.m. by way of Wednesday, Oct. 12 at 6 a.m.
Wednesday, Oct. 5
- Jackson from Columbus to DuSable Lake Shore Drive at 10 a.m. by way of Monday, Oct. 10 at 6 a.m.
Thursday, Oct. 6
- Balbo from Michigan Avenue to Columbus Drive at 4 a.m. by way of Monday, Oct. 10 at 6 a.m.
- Columbus Drive from Roosevelt to Ida B. Wells will shut at 4 a.m. and reopen on Monday, Oct. 10 at 6 a.m.
Friday, Oct. 7
- Jackson from Michigan Avenue to Columbus Drive will shut at 4 a.m. by way of Sunday, Oct. 9 at 8 p.m.
- Ida B. Wells from Congress Plaza to Columbus Drive will shut at 4 a.m. by way of Sunday, Oct. 9 at 8 p.m.
- Ida B. Wells from Michigan Avenue to Congress Plaza will shut at 4 a.m. by way of Sunday, Oct. 9 at 8 p.m.
- Congress Plaza at Michigan Avenue from Van Buren to Harrison Streets will shut at 4 a.m. by way of Sunday, Oct. 9 at 8 p.m.
- Columbus Drive from Monroe Avenue to Jackson will shut at 4 a.m. and reopen on Sunday, Oct. 9 at 8 p.m.
- Columbus Drive from Jackson to Ida B. Wells will shut at 4 a.m. and reopen on Sunday, Oct. 9 at 8 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 8
- Columbus Drive from Randolph to Monroe Avenue will shut at 6 a.m. and open on Sunday, Oct. 9 at midday.
- Monroe Avenue from Michigan Avenue to Columbus Drive will shut at midday and open on Sunday, Oct. 9 at midday.
- Monroe Avenue from Columbus Drive to DuSable Lake Shore Drive will shut at midday and open on Sunday, Oct. 9 at 5 p.m.
- Roosevelt Street from Columbus Drive to DuSable Lake Shore Dive will shut at 11 a.m. and open on Sunday, Oct. 9 at 6 p.m.
Sunday, Oct. 9
- Michigan Avenue from Madison to ninth Avenue will shut at 4 a.m. and open on Sunday, Oct. 9 at 9 a.m.
- Roosevelt Street from Michigan Avenue to Columbus Drive will shut at 4 a.m. and open Sunday, Oct. 9 at 6 p.m.
- Columbus Drive from McFetridge Drive to Roosevelt Street will shut at 4 a.m. and open on Sunday, Oct. 9 at 6 p.m.
- Michigan Avenue from ninth Avenue to Roosevelt Street at 5:30 a.m. and open on Sunday, Oct. 9 at 4 p.m.
All streets, besides Balbo from Columbus to DuSable Lake Shore Drive will probably be absolutely reopened by Monday, October 10 at 6 a.m.
Race day avenue closures alongside the route will start at roughly 7 a.m. on Sunday, and are anticipated to be reopened by 4:30 p.m. or when it’s deemed secure to take action.
Abbott Chicago 5K closures
The next streets will probably be closed to visitors between the hours of seven a.m. and 9 a.m. on Oct. 8:
- Ida B. Wells St, between Columbus Dr. and Congress Plaza Dr.
- Congress Plaza Dr., between Harrison St. and Van Buren St.
- Harrison St., between Michigan Ave. and Franklin St.
- Franklin St., between Harrison St. and Van Buren St.
- Van Buren St., between Franklin St. and Wacker Dr.
- Wacker Dr., between Van Buren St. and Dearborn St.
- Jackson Blvd., between Wacker Dr. and Clark St.
Copyright © 2022 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.